A gateway for the social enterprise community
The Purpose Precinct at the iconic Queen Victoria Market puts social enterprises in front of nine million visitors a year. Launched in December 2022 by SENVIC, Good Cycles and STREAT, with support from the Victorian Government, the Purpose Precinct has created opportunities to showcase how social enterprise is transforming business as usual in Victoria.
Situated on String Bean Alley at the Peel Street end of the Market, it’s first stage was fitted out by social enterprise ReBuild, and currently features over 27 social enterprises in store. See some of them online at www.purposeprecinct.org.
We are always looking for more products that demonstrate the breadth and depth of the social enterprise community. If you are interested in wholesaling your products at Queen Victoria Market, then connect with us through the Purpose precinct page.
We’ve only just begun, scroll down to hear about how the Purpose Precinct is set to grow and sign up to the SENVIC newsletter to hear about future opportunities.
Our community imagines the future
In December 2022, we held an open invitation workshop to discover the opportunities that the Purpose Precinct presents.
Thank you to everyone who joined us to ideate together.
The workshop showed the creativity and vibrant vision SENVIC members have for the Purpose Precinct.
There were hundreds of ideas generated, with key themes of:
- connecting with social enterprises near and far (across Victoria)
- supporting through resources, mentoring and incubation to grow new and small businesses
- reducing our environmental impact and focusing on circularity
- creating community through storytelling, events and participation
- creating shared infrastructure (from online, to people and brick-and-mortar)
- creating opportunities for employment and job creation (in particular for vulnerable cohorts)
- becoming the best-practice case study for how social enterprises can work together to benefit the sector as a whole.
With the support of the Victorian Government, the Purpose Precinct will take a quantum leap in 2023, moving to a larger space at Queen Victoria Market that will signal the arrival of social enterprise.
At the new site, we aim to put the workshop’s vision into reality.
We will launch an EOI process shortly, including opportunities for shop-fronts and pop-ups.
To keep up to date, join SENVIC’s mailing list and tick ‘Purpose Precinct updates’